Queen Mary University of London is providing two full Herchel Smith Scholarships to outstanding students wishing to pursue MSc courses in the United Kingdom.
The application period for the scholarship is now open for the academic year 2022-2023. Both international and native students are eligible to apply for the scholarship. Those who have successfully shown their rationale based on academic excellence will still be given the scholarship. The scholarship award will cover the full tuition charge for the program pursued at QMUL.
The Queen Mary University of London is a constituent college of the federal University of London and a public research university in London, England. It is ranked 110th among the world’s best universities.
Why should you choose Queen Mary University of London as your university of choice?
QMUL supports world-class research by curating unique and distinctive collections, promoting the production and dissemination of scholarly publications, and helping to provide the skills and venues needed for autonomous research.
✅ More About Herchel Smith
Herchel Smith was a British-born American organic chemist. His contributions include the key inventions that underpin oral and injectable contraception. Later in life, he was a major supporter of university science. The University of Cambridge and Queen Mary University of London have benefited the most in England, while Harvard University, the University of Pennsylvania, and Williams College have benefited the most in the United States. Smith donated over $200 million to Cambridge and $100 million to Harvard during his lifetime and after his death, including endowments to expand student exchange between the two universities through fellowships.
His early education in Plymouth and Exeter led him to Emmanuel College, Cambridge, in 1942, where he pursued the Natural Sciences Tripos. Professor Lord Todd encouraged Smith’s interest in organic chemistry research.
His independent research began at Oxford University in 1952–1956, but it was completed while he was a lecturer in organic chemistry at the University of Manchester.
In 1961, a three-month visit to Wyeth Pharmaceuticals’ research laboratories in Pennsylvania turned into a permanent position where he continued to research steroid chemistry.
Herchel Smith’s research on new methods for total steroid synthesis resulted in the development of commercially viable methods for the industrial production of estrone, equilin, 19-nor-testosterone, and Norgestrel. Norgestrel was discovered to be an effective contraceptive and served as the foundation for a number of oral and injectable contraceptives.
He retired in 1973 and began a new career as a philanthropist, donating the majority of the substantial fortune he had amassed from his patent and licencing fees to the academic community.
Application Deadline: Applications will close on 3rd May 2022 at 12:00 pm.
✅ Herchel Smith Scholarship Description
- University or Organization: Queen Mary University of London
- Department: Centre for Commercial Law Studies
- Course Level: Master
- Award: Tuition fee
- Number of Awards: 2
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: International and Domestic
- The award can be taken in the United Kingdom.
- Eligible Countries: All nationalities.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: MSc in Intellectual Property program at QMUL can be undertaken.
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following/given criteria:
- The applicants must have a conditional or unconditional offer for the MSc Intellectual Property.
- The applicants must graduate from a UK university, and the scholarship is for fees at the UK rate only (qualification from a UK university).
- The applicants must have applied for your program by 6th April 2022.
✅ How to Apply Herchel Smith Scholarship
- How to Apply: Applications at QMUL are accepted via its online application portal. The scholarship application must be made online separately.
- Supporting Documents: The students are required to present the following documents to the university:
- Transcripts of your law degree and any other legal qualifications.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- 1 x reference letter
- Admission Requirements: The applicants must have a 2:2 or above at undergraduate level in Natural Sciences, Medical Sciences, Engineering, Mathematics, or Computer Sciences.
- Language Requirement: The students must submit scores of the following English language proficiency tests:
- IELTS – 7.0
- TOEFL IBT – 100
- PTE – 68
- C1/C2 – 185
- Trinity ISE – III
✅ Herchel Smith Scholarship Benefits
The students selected to be awarded this scholarship by QMUL will receive the total tuition fee cost of the applied program.
✅ Get help for this scholarship
Join our Facebook group to connect with international students and discuss your study abroad opportunities such as scholarships, admission, uni selection, free education, college fee, flights, accommodation, transport, etc.