Do you want to continue your education in the United States? Then apply now for one of Michigan Technological University’s Merit-Based International Scholarships. For the school year 2022-2023, the programme is open.
This scholarship programme is designed specifically for incoming first-year students from the United States or Canada who do not identify as Michigan students. This scholarship will pay the fees of your undergraduate programme.
MTU was established in 1885 as a public research university in Houghton. It is ranked #651-700 in the QS Global World Rankings 2022, with an aim to provide action-based education to address society’s concerns.
Why should you attend MTU to further your education?
MTU is a worldwide acclaimed technological university that teaches students, promotes knowledge, and innovates to improve the quality of life for all people in the state, nation, and world.
About Michigan Technological University
Houghton, based MTU is a public research university. Its main campus, atop a hill overlooking Portage Lake, spans 925 acres. MTU was founded in 1885 as the Upper Peninsula’s first post-secondary institution, with the goal of training mining engineers to operate the area’s copper mines. MTU features a tiny campus with 36 buildings, the first of which was built in 1908. The Governor of Michigan appoints a Board of Trustees to oversee the university.
Engineering, science, technology, forestry, and business are among the more than 140 degree programmes offered by the university’s five colleges and institutions. It belongs to the “R2: Doctoral Universities – High Research Activity” category.
The initial name of the school was Michigan Mining School, and it began with four faculty members and 23 students. In 1889, it became coed. In 1964, the school was renamed MTU due to a reduction in mining student enrollment. In 2021-2022, there will be 7009 students enrolled, with roughly 5800 students and 1200 graduate students. The average high school GPA of students accepted into MTU is 3.8. Many students are from Michigan; however, 21% are from outside the state and 9% are international. The retention rate for first-year students is 84.5 percent, and the 6-year graduation rate is 72.2 percent, showing the huge number of students who participate in internships and cooperatives during their undergraduate careers. There is a 13:1 student-to-faculty ratio. The university’s freshman class in the fall of 2021 was the largest since 1982.
In the 1950s, the Ford Motor Company donated the Ford Center to MTU. It is a historical community 40 miles south of MTU main campus in Alberta, Michigan, where Henry Ford originally owned and operated a sawmill. Since 1954, Michigan Tech students studying forestry, ecology, animal ecology, and natural resource management have used the Ford Center as an outdoor and environmental education centre. The students affectionately refer to this centre as “Fall Camp,” as it has 4906 acres of forest and wetlands where students participate in outdoor classes. The centre also has a number of structures that students utilise for their dorms, recreational activities, and indoor classes. In 1996, the Ford Motor Company provided a grant to Michigan Tech to convert the sawmill into a museum. The museum, as well as the centre itself, are open to the public for conferences and reunions.
Application Deadline: Open
✅ Brief Description
- University or Organization: Michigan Technological University
- Department: NA
- Course Level: Undergraduate
- Award: $16,000
- Number of Awards: NA
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: Domestic and International
- The award can be taken in the USA.
- Eligible Countries: Students that are non-Michigan residents of the US and Canada can apply.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: Undergraduate programme taught at MTU can be applied for.
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following/given criteria:
- The applicants must be first-year students who have applied and been accepted for undergraduate admission to Michigan Tech.
- The applicants must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.50 to be able to renew their scholarship award.
- The applicants must have a 3.35 to 4.00+ GPA.
✅ How to Apply
- How to Apply: Students are required to submit an admission application online via the university application portal. Interested students who have applied and been accepted for undergraduate admission to Michigan Tech are automatically considered for this award.
- Supporting Documents: The students are required to provide official secondary school transcripts and attested marks sheets. Personal statements and letters of recommendation are optional documents.
- Admission Requirements: The students must have a minimum GPA of 3.00. Otherwise, students are required to submit test scores.
- Language Requirement: The students must submit scores of the following English language proficiency tests:
- TOEFL IBT – 79
- TOEFL PBT – 550
- IELTS – 6.5
- Duolingo – 105
- PTE – 53
✅ Scholarship Benefits:
Based on their academic records during their undergraduate studies at MTU, the students who will receive the award will receive $10,000 to $16,000.
✅ Get help for this scholarship
Join our Facebook group to connect with international students and discuss your study abroad opportunities such as scholarships, admission, uni selection, free education, college fee, flights, accommodation, transport, etc.