For 2022-2023 ICGEB Short-term PhD Fellowships International students from all over the world are welcome to apply.
Applicants must submit a letter of recommendation to the Group Leader / PI of their choice at the International Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), as well as determine the availability of laboratory space and the study project proposal that will be an integral part of the implementation.
ICGEB funds ongoing cooperative research between ICGEB Member States and study organisations at ICGEB Laboratories in Trieste, Italy, New Delhi, India, and Cape Town, South Africa, with the goal of enabling access to the most up-to-date study methods and enhancing capacity building.
The International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB) was established by the UN Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) in 1983. (ICGEB). Over 45 current research projects in infectious and non-communicable diseases, medical, industrial, and plant biology biotechnology are housed in the Organization’s three component laboratories in Trieste, Italy, New Delhi, India, and Cape Town, South Africa.
Under the leadership of Arturo Falaschi, the ICGEB became an independent international organisation on February 3, 1994, and now has over 65 member states from around the world.
The organization’s major pillars of action include research, advanced education through PhD and Postdoctoral Fellowships, international scientific meetings and courses, competitive grants for scientists in Member States, and technology transfer to industry.
- Level of Study: PhD
- Institution(s): ICGEB
- Study in: Italy, New Delhi (India), and Cape Town (South Africa)
- Opportunity Focus Areas: Life Sciences
- Program Period: 1 – 6 months
- Deadline: March 31, 2022 / September 30, 2022
ICGEB Short-term PhD Fellowships provide the recipient with the following benefits:
- Travel: the fellowship includes provision for travel expenses from the participant’s home country to the ICGEB lab at the beginning of the fellowship and a return travel provision upon completion of the fellowship.
- Monthly stipend: Trieste (Italy): Euro 1,300, New Delhi (India): US$ 1,020, Cape Town (South Africa): ZAR 12,500.
- Medical health insurance coverage is provided for the duration of the fellowship.
- Visa/permit of stay application and renewal costs are reimbursed.
- ICGEB makes no financial provision, nor can it provide administrative support for family members of participants in the program.
- ICGEB Trieste: A Housing Service is run through the Welcome Office – Friuli Venezia Giulia. For further information please see: http://www.icgeb.org/trieste-housing.html
- ICGEB New Delhi: A Guest House is run on campus, on a twin-share basis, for a nominal rate.
- ICGEB Cape Town: Accommodation support is provided to fellows. Arrangements are agreed prior arrival
Eligibility Criteria for ICGEB Short-term PhD Fellowships
To be eligible for ICGEB Short-term PhD Fellowships, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Required Language: English
- Eligible Countries: All world countries
- Applicants must be nationals of an ICGEB Member State and may not apply for fellowships to be undertaken in their country of origin, unless working abroad at the time of application.
- Applicants should hold a recent PhD in Life Sciences or have at least 3 years research experience.
- Candidates must have a good working knowledge of the English language, supported by a proficiency certificate (TOEFL, Cambridge Certificate, or equivalent). Not required when scholastic education has been undertaken in English.
How to Apply for ICGEB Short-term PhD Fellowships?
Please follow the following important step to avail ICGEB Short-term PhD Fellowships:
(1) Please complete application online here.
(2) Following documents are required:
- Proposed research.
Proposed research project and timetable (max. 3 pages, plus up to 2 pages of bibliographical references and figures).
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Written statement.
Written statement from the ICGEB Group Leader/Principal Investigator you have contacted and who is willing to support the project and provide laboratory space, explaining the motivation for the support of your candidature.
- English language certificate.
- Passport photocopy.
- Contact details.
Name and contact details of two (2) people who can provide a letter of reference on your behalf. At least one of these should be a member of the University or College you attended most recently. Please request referees to send their letters by email to ([email protected]) by the application closing date. The subject of the e-mail should be: “The Arturo Falaschi ICGEB Short-term Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme”, followed by your name.
To know more about ICGEB Short-term PhD Fellowships, please visit official website:
✅ Get help for this scholarship
Join our Facebook group to connect with international students and discuss your study abroad opportunities such as scholarships, admission, uni selection, free education, college fee, flights, accommodation, transport, etc.