Statement of Purpose (SOP) is an essential part of the applicant’s full admission profile. It usually has a word limit of 1000-1500 words in which you can write about your personality, past experiences, and future goals.
To get admission to foreign universities, SOP is mandatory for applying to undergraduate and graduate programs. The Statement of Purpose is so impactful that it connects the applicant with the selection committee.
No matter how much your application form and resume answer the majority of the questions but it is the SOP that makes you stand out and increase your chances of selection. In your SOP, you can talk about your strengths, goals, and future plans.
If you are a student who wants to study in the U.K, Canada, U.S.A, and Australia, etc, it is important for you to start focusing on writing a good SOP to increase your chances of selection.
Many international universities demand a Statement of Purpose. For example, while writing SOP for Australia, you need to write about your academic achievements, your struggles, and overall experiences.
Basic Elements of a Well-Written SOP:
- Personal Background
- Academic Qualifications and Interests
- Career Goals
- Professional Experience
- Participation in Extra-Curricular Activities
- Reason for choice of Program, Country or Institution
Things You Must Include In Your SOP:
There are a few things that must be included in your SOP to make it outstanding. Here is a list of things that must be part of your SOP:
Why this program? Why this university? Why are you choosing this country to study? What is your experience in your field? Why do you think you are the best candidate for this program? What will you bring to the institute? What are your future goals? Where do you see yourself in the coming five years? How will this course help you to achieve your goals?
Tips/Tricks for Impactful SOP:
- Always write in simple and plain language to make your point and to explain yourself.
- Make sure to write it as a story by connecting your past experiences with your future goals to make it a good piece of writing.
- Make sure to proofread your SOP and edit it if you find any mistakes/errors.
- Once you are done writing your SOP, you can get feedback from your mentors, and they will help you in fixing errors.
- SOP is a chance to talk about your weakness, for suppose if you have poor academic performance, you can write about it and explain it.
- Here are some samples of a well-written SOP which will help you to write your Statement of Purpose. A well-written statement of purpose (SOP) is your ticket to your desired university. So make sure to write it very carefully and win your place!